Content of the material
- Create a bookmark
- Click star icon
- Save with a shortcut
- Add a New Folder in Internet Explorer
- How to Back Up Your Bookmarks
- iCloud Bookmarks on iOS
- Use Bookmarks Bar on Google Chrome to Manage Bookmarks
- Sort bookmarks with an extension
- How to Export Bookmarks?
- Bookmark Manager
- Import/Export Google Chrome Bookmarks
- Bonus Tips
- Find a bookmark
- Manage Bookmarks in Chrome
- Organize Bookmarks by Folder
- Create a New Bookmark Folder in Chrome Desktop:
- Divide Chrome Desktop Bookmarks in Folders
- Create a New Bookmark Folder in Chrome Android
- Divide Chrome Android Bookmarks into Folders
- Chrome Bookmark Manger
- Organize Chrome bookmarks from Manager
Create a bookmark
Click star icon
To create a bookmark in Chrome:
- Open Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the URL you want to bookmark.
- Click the star icon in the far right of the address bar.
Save with a shortcut
You can also create a bookmark in Chrome using the following keyboard shortcuts:
Mac: Command + d
Windows: Ctrl + d
Add a New Folder in Internet ExplorerIf you have dozens or even hundreds of favorites, you can store similar sites in their own unique folders. At the Organize Favorites window, click the New Folder button. Give the folder a name.Now look through your favorites to find a site that you wish to store in the new folder. Drag it to the new folder. You can also right-click on the favorite and select Cut. Then right-click on its new folder and select Paste.
How to Back Up Your Bookmarks
If you want to make sure you never lose your bookmarks and you’re able to import them anywhere, backing them up is the best solution. It’s very simple and doesn’t take long.
- Launch Chrome and click on the Menu.
- Find Bookmarks and choose Bookmark Manager from the list that’ll appear. Another way to open the Bookmark Manager is to press Ctrl+Shift+O.
- From the pop-up window choose the Bookmarks HTML file option.
- Click on ‘Choose File’. A dialog box will open, where you can rename the file and choose the location to which you’ll save it.
- You can later access this file from the Bookmark Manager.
iCloud Bookmarks on iOSYou can use iCloud to synchronize your bookmarks between Safari on your iOS devices and Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer on your Windows PC or Mac. To first set this up on your iPhone or iPad, open Settings. Tap on your name at the top of the Settings screen. At the Apple ID screen, tap on the entry for iCloud. Turn on the setting for Safari. Tap on the option to merge any existing local Safari data on your iPhone or iPad.
Use Bookmarks Bar on Google Chrome to Manage Bookmarks
The Bookmarks Bar is a small section that floats under the URL bar of your Google Chrome browser. You can view all the bookmarks there. Also, it becomes easier to manage bookmarks from the Bookmarks Bar without switching the current tab.
- Enable Bookmarks Bar from Menu > Bookmarks > Show Bookmarks Bar.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+B (Windows), or Command + Shift + B (Mac) to enable or disable Bookmarks Bar.
- Click and drag any bookmark or folder to move them into another folder.
- Right-click on the Bookmark to delete specific bookmarks.
- You can also choose to open the Bookmark link in a new window or an incognito window.
When the bookmark bar is visible, it is also easier to add bookmarks from any link. All you need to do is to click and drag any link from any webpage to your Bookmarks Bar.
Sort bookmarks with an extension
This free version of Sprucemarks is the best option for sorting your bookmarks. The Chrome bookmark manager only lets you sort by Name, but this extension allows you to sort by Name, Date added, and URL. It also lets you sort the bookmark bar, and other folders individually in different ways.
How to Export Bookmarks?
If you want to keep using your neatly-organized bookmarks in another device or browser, you can easily export and import them. To do this, you’ll need to convert your bookmark data to an HTML file.
- Open Bookmark Manager.
- Click on the three dots in the top-right corner.
- Click on Export Bookmarks.
- Give the filename and Click on Save.
This is a very easy way of managing bookmarks. First, its good to know that it comes free with your Google Chrome, so no special downloads are needed to get it. To access the bookmark manager, click on the three dots at the top rightmost corner of your Chrome browser, navigate to “Bookmarks” and then “Bookmark Manager.”
This opens your bookmark manager on a new tab. Once your bookmark manager is open, you can see folders containing all your bookmarks on the left and bookmarks in whatever folder selected on the right.
At the topmost right corner are three dots for settings. This setting allows you to sort by name, add new bookmarks, add new folder, and import and export bookmarks. In front of each bookmark are three dots for settings that allow you to edit, delete, copy URL and open bookmark.
One of the nicer features is the ability to sort bookmarks by dragging them to whatever position you want on the list. This ensures that no matter how many bookmarks you have, you can drag your most used bookmarks to the top of the list.
Import/Export Google Chrome Bookmarks
If you have the Google account sync enabled on Chrome, all bookmarks will be accessible from all your devices. In case you are afraid of losing your important bookmarks, you can export them to an HTML file. Also, you can import the backup bookmarks to any computer.
- Open Google Chrome and go to Bookmarks Manager.
- Click on the three-dots button at the top right of the page.
- Choose Export Bookmarks.
- Save the bookmarks from the prompt window.
- To import the bookmarks, click on Import Bookmarks and select the file on your computer.
You can import and export bookmarks in Chrome using both Mac and Windows. Also, there is no limitation to import bookmarks from any other computer or even other browsers on Chrome.
Besides all the organization tips we mentioned above, you can also use extensions to manage your bookmarks. You can surf through the Chrome Web Store to look for fun extensions that help with arranging your bookmarks.
Some extensions provide a better view of the website, and some can even let you save bookmarks offline. The key is to choose one that suits your preference and style.
You can choose bookmarks, like Raindrop.io, Save to Pocket, Workona, Bookmark Sidebar, and more.
Find a bookmark
Important: The easiest way to open a bookmark is to click on it in the Bookmarks bar. To turn the bookmark bar on or off, click More Bookmarks Show bookmarks bar.
If you don’t have the bookmarks bar turned on, there are 2 ways to find your bookmarks:
From the menu:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Bookmarks.
- Click a bookmark.
From the navigation panel:
- At the top right of your browser, click Side panel .
- Click Bookmarks.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Bookmarks Bookmark Manager.
- To the right of a bookmark, click the Down arrow Edit.
Important: After you delete a bookmark, you can’t get it back. On your computer, open Chrome. At the top right, click More Bookmarks Bookmark Manager. To the right of a bookmark, click the Down arrow Delete.
Manage Bookmarks in Chrome
For a smooth and trouble-free browsing experience, it is essential to organize your bookmarks properly in Chrome. Let’s look at various ways to manage Chrome bookmarks.
Organize Bookmarks by Folder
We use browsers for fulfilling various purposes like browsing for our work, watching YouTube, online gaming, Netflix & other OTT, blog reading, News, and much more. So we might find something important or exciting while doing any of those and bookmark that page. However, this will mix up all your bookmarks and create a mess.
The best thing to avoid this mess is to organize your bookmarks by folder on Chrome. You can create a separate folder for different types of bookmarks. For example, I use Chrome for my work, blog reading, watching and reading about sports, and more. So, I can manage my bookmarks by creating separate folders for Work, Sports, Blogs, YouTube, and so on. By separating the bookmarks into folders, it becomes much easier to find and access them when needed.
Here is how you can create a separate bookmark folder and divide bookmarks into it.
Create a New Bookmark Folder in Chrome Desktop:
- Launch Chrome browser and right-click on an empty space or any bookmark in the Chrome Bookmarks bar. The Chrome Bookmarks bar is located just below the Address bar. Choose Add folder from the menu.
- Name the new folder you created, choose in which primary folder you want to save it, and finally click the Save button.
- Create more folders by following the same procedure.
Divide Chrome Desktop Bookmarks in Folders
After creating the folders, you can divide the existing bookmarks into them.
- Right-click on any existing bookmark and click Edit.
- From the folders list, choose the one in which you want to save this bookmark. Click Save.
- The bookmark will be added to that folder. In a similar fashion, one by one, divide all your bookmarks into separate folders, according to their types.
- Also, to keep it organized, whenever you add a new bookmark in the future, add it into an appropriate folder.
Create a New Bookmark Folder in Chrome Android
Follow these steps to create a new bookmark folder in Chrome Android:
- Launch Chrome on your Android device and open a webpage that is already bookmarked.
- Tap on the three dots to open the menu and push the bookmark Star icon, which is blued.
- On the next page, tap on the existing folder name.
- Next, you will see the option to create a New folder. Tap on it.
- Add the folder title and choose the Parent folder. Tap the tick mark icon to finish.
- Create more folders by following these steps.
Divide Chrome Android Bookmarks into Folders
Now, you can divide your Chrome Android bookmarks into newly created folders.
- Tap on the three dots at the top right and choose Bookmarks from the menu.
- Choose the existing folders to access the bookmarks and sort them.
- Tap on the three dots next to the bookmark and choose the Move to option.
- Choose the folder in which you want to move the bookmark and tap on it.
Chrome Bookmark Manger
For managing bookmarks on your desktop, you can use Chrome Bookmark Manager. You can perform various actions on your bookmarks through Bookmark Manager.
To access the Chrome Bookmark Manager and perform modifications, follow these steps:
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner and navigate to the Bookmarks -> Bookmark manager.
- On the Bookmark manager page, from the left pane, switch to any bookmark folder to modify the bookmarks present in that folder.
- To create new folders, enter the Parent folder, right-click and select Add new folder.
- You can modify any bookmark by clicking on the three dots next to it. The modification includes Edit, Delete, Cut, Copy, Copy URL, and more.
- You can also sort bookmarks in alphabetical order. Switch to the folder to sort its bookmarks. Click on the three dots next to the search bar and select Sort by name.
Organize Chrome bookmarks from Manager
But if what we really want is to organize all the Chrome bookmarks that we have saved in the program, not just those that are seen in the bar, we access the Chrome menu. Here, within the Bookmarks option, we see a one called Bookmark Manager. This leads to a new window in which we will see all the ones that we have added over time.
If we take a look at the left side of this window , we find two sections. One that refers to those of the bar that we talked about before, and another for the rest of these objects. At the same time, in the upper right part of it, we see a button also with three vertical dots. From it we have the possibility to add new entries or create folders. In turn, we can order these elements by name, in addition to importing and exporting them.
Therefore from this window we already have the possibility of ordering them, editing them, and creating as many folders as we need. So we can drag them with the mouse to add them to those folders that we can create by month, theme, year or however we want to organize.