Swimming goggles are an indispensable accessory for swimming, both in the pool and in open water. Neither professional swimmers nor ordinary people who visit the pool for wellness procedures can do without such an important element of equipment. The glasses are not only comfortable to swim and dive, they primarily provide eye protection from water and chlorine fumes. By what criteria should you choose this accessory in order to get the maximum benefit and pleasure from bathing?
Types and varieties of swimming goggles
Goggles for swimming are classified depending on the material used in their production, as well as their direct functional purpose.
Each of them has pluses and minuses.
Silicone products are flexible and soft structure. These glasses are inexpensive, have a secure fit and do not wear out for a long time, which, of course, are their main advantages. If we talk about the minuses, then the silicone accessory fits too tightly to the face, literally pressing into the skin, as a result of which the swimmer has unattractive circles around the eyes after swimming, which is especially annoying for women.
An alternative to silicone goggles are neoprene (synthetic rubber) accessories. Products made from this material are softer and lighter than those made from silicone. A big plus of neoprene models is that they do not dig into the skin, but, like Velcro, “stick” to the face, leaving no marks or marks. But frames and straps made of synthetic rubber wear out quickly, as cracks and tears appear on them from frequent contact with water. Therefore, among the shortcomings of such bathing attributes, one can note their fragility, as well as high cost.
Types of goggles for swimming:
- Starting . Used by professional athletes during water tournaments and competitions.
- Training. Designed for active training and training in the water, water aerobics and swimming in the pool.
- Swimming goggles with diopters. Made for swimmers with vision problems.
- Glasses-mask. Accessory designed for swimming in pools and open water, as well as diving and spearfishing.
Regardless of the model, the lenses in all swimming goggles must be plastic, not glass. Glass not only makes glasses heavier due to the greater weight, but is also not safe for swimmers, as it can break during training and injure the swimmer with fragments.
Characteristics of training glasses
This type of accessory is designed for general use and is suitable for people who go to the pool for wellness treatments or just swim. The training glasses have a soft fit, they do not put pressure on the eyes, so even with prolonged wear they do not cause any particular inconvenience and discomfort.
Typically, training goggle straps and frames are made from flexible, soft silicone, but neoprene products are also available on the swimwear market. The strap in swimming goggles is equipped with a special fastener located near the temple or in the back of the head.
Lenses are made of durable safe plastic and may vary in size and shape. Some manufacturers offer training glasses that are equipped with an additional obturator gasket, so that they practically do not leave marks on the face.
Training glasses are divided into three categories:
Swimming attributes for adults, in turn, are divided into:
Compared to men’s glasses, women’s glasses are smaller and have a softer padding. As for the unisex category, such accessories are medium in size and are considered universal, therefore they are suitable for both men and women.
Also, the models of training glasses are characterized by a special design of the bridge of the nose, which can be of three types.
Adjustable nose bridge
A stepped movable part is installed on the bridge of the nose, and the swimmer can adjust the interocular distance convenient for himself.
Removable nose bridge
The glasses come with 3-4 interchangeable nose bridges of various shapes and lengths, so you can choose the design detail that suits you personally.
Cast nose bridge
In such models, the bridge of the nose is integral with the frame and strap, and its length cannot be adjusted. Usually, glasses with a molded nose are designed for children and teenagers.
Removable and adjustable parts of the nose bridges are made of elastic plastic, but with frequent change and adjustment, these elements break and the glasses become unusable. Therefore, for regular visits to the pool, it is advisable to give preference to cast models that are more reliable and durable.
The starting models of glasses are also called “Swedes” or “glasses”. Accessories of this type are used mainly by professional swimmers, both in competitions and in preparation for tournaments.
Professional swimming goggles differ from training models in a more rigid fit. A feature of these attributes of athletes’ equipment is the almost complete absence of a soft pad, so the edging of the glasses is strongly pressed into the skin, which makes them very uncomfortable to wear for a long time. In some cases, starter glasses still have a thin seal or a special silicone gasket.
This specificity of professional goggles is due to the fact that swimmers develop high speed during competitions, so the accessory must have a strong fixation and not move to the side when moving. Starting glasses reliably protect the athlete’s eyes from water and provide him with good hydrodynamics.
Also, most models of professional goggles are equipped with a double strap, which guarantees the swimmer a more stable fixation.
Interestingly, such accessories are sold unassembled, in the configuration of which a set of a strap, lenses and nose bridge, and before use, the athlete independently assembles the glasses, adjusting them to the shape of his face.
Due to the lack of soft padding on the rim of the glasses, the starter models are not suitable for ordinary people. Water workouts and classes in the pool can last up to 2 hours, and wearing such an attribute while swimming will cause discomfort and even pain.
Features of glasses with diopters
Manufacturers of swimming accessories produce glasses with diopters for people who have vision problems of varying degrees. Most often they belong to the training type, but there are also special professional models designed for athletes with low vision.
Spectacle lenses with diopters have different indicators, so both nearsighted people and swimmers suffering from farsightedness can pick up this attribute. Optical glasses are also available on the market, both with the same and different diopters, to correct the vision of both eyes. Some models have removable lenses, and the swimmer can independently change the diopter if the need arises (for example, with further deterioration of vision).
Swimming glasses should be chosen with diopters, which have the same indicator as in optical glasses used by a swimmer in everyday life. If you cannot find an attribute with an exact match of optics, you can opt for lenses with a weaker indicator than your regular glasses.
Accessories for swimming in the form of a mask
Swimming glasses in the form of a mask or half mask differ from ordinary ones in that they are large and cover almost half of the face. For their production, plastic and silicone are also used, and the lenses are treated with an anti-fog agent and coated with a special coating that protects against ultraviolet radiation.
Usually, such accessories are intended for swimming in open waters and shallow diving. But, since the masks are wider than regular glasses and do not leave marks on the face, many swimmers use them when swimming in the pool.
Choosing swim goggles by lens color
To choose the right glasses and get the most out of swimming, you should pay attention to such an important detail as the color of the lenses. The shade of the lenses is especially important for those who love to dive and snorkel. After all, the clarity and quality of the image under water depends on the color of the glasses:
- Universal goggles with clear lenses are suitable for both pools and open waters. They allow you to see the surrounding space in its natural form, without distorting the picture;
- blue and purple glasses are used for swimming in outdoor pools in cloudy weather, as well as in indoor sports facilities with low lighting;
- Mirrored lenses are great for a brightly lit pool or swimming in the sea on a sunny day. Mirror-coated lenses reflect bright glare that can dazzle and disorient the swimmer;
- for swimming in blinding light, you can also opt for smoke-coated goggles . They slightly reduce the brightness of the image, while maintaining the clarity of the picture;
General recommendations on how to choose glasses for the pool
Not only your comfort when swimming, but also the health of your eyes depends on the right model. If you want to choose a good accessory that will last you as long as possible, use the following tips:
- Don’t buy the first glasses you see. Plan a trip to the sports store in advance to have enough time when choosing this accessory;
- refuse to buy glasses in which you experience discomfort just because you really liked them. Do not expect that the pressing bridge of the nose or the lenses that dig into the skin will subsequently “stretch” and become more comfortable;
- when choosing glasses for a small child, ask the seller to show you the entire range of children’s models in order to compare lens sizes and material quality;
- for children over 12 years old, you should choose not children’s, but adult samples of swimming accessories;
- some manufacturers coat the inside of the glass with a special anti-fog agent. If there is no such effect on the accessory you have chosen, immediately buy a special anti-fog spray for treating lenses from fogging.
How to choose goggles for swimming in the pool for an adult
Swimming in goggles that do not fit snugly to the face, rub the skin and cause discomfort is not very pleasant. Therefore, the choice of this accessory should be approached responsibly and carefully. Do not purchase bathing products based solely on the advice of friends. Also, do not make a purchase of such an important attribute on online shopping sites.
The only way to make sure that glasses fit you personally is to try them on. Here are some tips on how to try them on correctly in order to choose a really high-quality and comfortable accessory:
- put your favorite model to your eyes for a few seconds;
- as soon as you feel that the rim of the lenses is stuck to the skin, remove your hands from the accessory;
- if glasses without hand support hold tightly on your eyes, then you have chosen the right size for you;
- fasten the fixing strap and leave the selected model on the face for 1 minute to check if the frame is putting pressure on the eyes and bridge of the nose;
- Do you feel comfortable wearing the glasses you tried on? Then you can safely make a purchase and go to water training.
The subtleties of the selection of swimming goggles for a child
The criteria for choosing goggles for a child are almost the same as for adults. That is, it is necessary to try on this attribute, check whether the bezel fits snugly against the skin and whether the glasses leave visible marks on the baby’s face.
How to choose swimming goggles for your child:
- Pick up children’s models of accessories of average cost . Cheap options from Chinese manufacturers can be made from toxic materials and harm the baby. Expensive glasses are also not worth buying, because children often break or lose their things.
- Give preference to training type glasses . Hard-fit starter models are not suitable for the beginner little swimmer. Even for those children who are professionally engaged in swimming, it is recommended to use training goggles with a soft seal during water exercises.
- Pay close attention to the fitting step. The size should be as close as possible to the child, and the frame should stick tightly to his face. It is categorically impossible to buy glasses “for growth”! If the size of the accessory is too large, water will penetrate under the frame and will flow into the baby’s eyes.
- Choose models with a molded nose bridge. Children do not always carefully put on and take off glasses, and they love to turn them around and turn them in different directions. Accessories with removable nose bridges will break quickly in the hands of a child, while molded models are more flexible and will last much longer.
- Ask for the child’s opinion. Ask if he feels comfortable in the chosen glasses, and if he likes them at all. If the baby complains that the attribute is pressing on his eyes or pinching his head, try on other glasses.
- After trying on, examine the baby’s skin. Good sized glasses should not leave noticeable marks from the frame and strap.
Children’s glasses come in a variety of bright colors. Therefore, let the child choose the color of the swimming accessory himself, so that bathing brings him joy and pleasure.
Which goggles are best for swimming in the sea
Goggles for swimming in the sea should not only protect the eyes from salty sea water, but also protect them from ultraviolet radiation.
It is for this reason that many manufacturers prudently cover the lenses with a special coating that reflects the sun’s rays and serves as a reliable protection against harmful ultraviolet radiation.
Therefore, when choosing a swimming accessory for swimming in open water (lake, sea), give preference to products marked with a UV filter.
You can also look at a relatively new invention in the field of swimming accessories – polarized goggles. Polarized lenses are used to make sunglasses, and their purpose is to protect against dazzling light. Swimming glasses with polarization perform the same function as sunglasses, reflecting dazzling light and blocking bright glare.
Plus, unlike mirrored lenses, polarized lenses won’t wear off or obscure your view, making them great for open water swimming in dazzling sunlight.
Important: the swimming attributes of most models are not designed for deep diving, and they can go down to a depth of no more than 2 meters. To dive to great depths, you need special diving goggles or a mask that can withstand powerful water pressure.
best goggles for swimming
Swimwear brands offer swimwear for all categories of consumers. A wide range of accessories is provided for beginner swimmers and experienced athletes, as well as men’s, women’s and children’s models.
List of the most famous manufacturers:
- the Italian brand Mosconi produces glasses with a smooth, streamlined shape that can be adjusted to the type of face;